Thursday, April 28, 2022

Strengthened by Divine Power

Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," or literally, "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." A look at the context tells us where this exclamation came from: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need" (vv. 11-12).

On numerous occasions the Philippian church had sent aid to Paul, for which he was quite thankful: "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity" (v. 10). And he added, "Nevertheless you have done well that you shared in my distress" (v. 14). But Paul most wanted them to realize that "in whatever state" he was in, he had "learned... to be content" (v. 11b).

"Content" (v. 11b) means "self-sufficient." "The Stoics used this word (which occurs only here in the NT) to mean human self-reliance and fortitude, a calm acceptance of life’s pressures. But Paul used it to refer to a divinely bestowed sufficiency, whatever the circumstances" (Lightner, R. P. [1985], Philippians. In J. F. Walvoord & R. B. Zuck [Eds.], The Bible Knowledge Commentary: An Exposition of the Scriptures [Vol. 2, p. 664], Wheaton, IL: Victor Books).

I am sure there were times when Paul suffered hardship. There were likely also times when those hardships gave way to better days. Paul learned to be content in either circumstance. There were days when he suffered financial shortfalls, along with other material needs. He also experienced days when he had an abundance. In whatever circumstance he found himself, whether well-fed or hungry, whether in plenty or in want, he "learned... to be content" (v. 11b).

Paul was "content" (v. 11b) because of the sufficiency of Christ. Our main text, verse 13, explains: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Christ is all-sufficient. He meets our every need. Paul understood this well. He had learned to trust all things, all circumstances, into His hands. Paul understood that he could do anything, handle every circumstance of life, "through Christ who" gave him "strength" (v. 13).

It is the same for us today. Like Paul, we need to learn to trust all things, all circumstances of life, whether good or bad, into the hands of Christ our Lord. He is the one who is sufficient to bring us through it all. That is what Galatians 2:20 means when it says, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment