Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Obedient in Suffering

In Isaiah 50:5, though Israel be rebellious, Jesus responds in obedience to the Father, even when His destiny, according to the Word of God, is only suffering and shame: "The Lord GOD has opened My ear; and I was not rebellious, nor did I turn away" (v. 5). As God's Servant, He does not draw back but offers His body to the slaughter. He is willing to suffer for you and me, which is clearly seen in verse 6: "I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting."

That is the gospel of Christ. He suffered at the hands of cruel men and died on the cross for our sin. The pain and shame suffered by the Servant, even the disgrace suffered on the cross, must yield to a glorious vindication of the Savior. "He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Phil. 2:8-11).

Jesus was sent not just to teach through His preaching and teaching, but also through His suffering and dying for our sins. He suffered in obedience. Again He said, "I gave My back to those who struck Me, and My cheeks to those who plucked out the beard; I did not hide My face from shame and spitting" (v. 6).

This was first prophesied about 750 years before, yet it was fulfilled perfectly in Jesus Christ at the cross. We know from the gospels the truth of this prophecy. The Lord Jesus was "flogged" (Matt. 27:26, NIV). He was mocked and spat upon (Matt. 27:30). The phrase in verse 6, "plucked out the beard," means to bring shame on a man. It means to shame a man so much so as to take away any vestige of manhood. Even with His manhood challenged, the Servant suffered obediently. Oh that we would be obedient to the message, even in the face of great suffering for the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment