Monday, October 10, 2016

On Right Paths

Psalm 23 uses the metaphor of the shepherd to show how he cares for his sheep. It is essentially prophecy that looks ahead to the Good Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ, who would show His love for His sheep by making the ultimate sacrifice. In John 10:11 Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.” Here is the cross. The cross reminds us of the truth that Jesus shed His blood and died on the cross for our forgiveness.

Then Jesus further explains, “I lay down My life that I may take it again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again” (John 10:17-18). Here is the cross and the resurrection. The Good Shepherd gave His life for the sheep He loved and He rose again to give them eternal life. In John 10:27-28 Jesus says, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish.”

The shepherd of Psalm 23 is the Good Shepherd of John 10. When we confess with the Psalmist, David, “The LORD is my shepherd” (Ps. 23:1), we confess that the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, is our Lord, our Savior, our Provider. He provides for our salvation and meets all of our spiritual needs, as well as our physical needs (vs. 2-3a). He also gives us direction in life. In verse 3b we read, “He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.”

“He leads me in the paths of righteousness " literally reads, “He leads me in right paths.” The Hebrew word translated “paths” means “a well-defined, well-worn trail.” That indicates how stupid sheep are, because even when the trail is well laid out, they still need a shepherd. They are still inclined to wander away, no matter how obvious the path may be. The shepherd knows the trails. He has been there before. The sheep trust him. The sheep follow Him.

I am reminded of Proverbs 3:5-6. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.” When you trust Him, lean on Him, and acknowledge Him in all ways, He gives you direction. He will lead you in the “right path.” That is a promise! And He does this for His name's sake, not yours. It is not your name that is at stake, it is His name. It is His character, His reputation that is at stake. “For His name’s sake” He is faithful. He promised to lead us in the right paths, and He will.

We need a shepherd. We need someone who knows the trails, someone whom we can trust. We all need direction in life from someone who knows the way. That is where Jesus the Good Shepherd comes in. He knows the way. Trust Him! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment